15 Inspiring Quotes About Leaving a Legacy
Published July 11, 2021
Death is definitely a strange topic. It strikes fear and despair into people’s hearts, thinking about their loved ones’ or their own inevitable fate. Yet, at the same time, death gives meaning to one’s life. The most important reason we dream and strive for things is that we know our life will end one day.
I don’t know about you, but I live with this particular fear of being insignificant. There’s just some lingering worry that I won’t leave anything important to those I leave behind when I die. So when I lose sight of what’s important and why I put in the work; I like to reflect on these quotes about leaving a legacy.
Famous Quotes and Sayings About Legacy
1. “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
– Warren Buffett
2. “No legacy is so rich as honesty.”
– William Shakespeare
3. “We stand our best chance of leaving a legacy to those who want to learn, our children, by standing firm. In matters of style, hey, swing with the stream. But in matters of principle, you need to stand like a rock.”
– Kevin Costner
4. “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”
– Benjamin Franklin
5. “Death comes to all, but great achievements build a monument which shall endure until the sun grows cold.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. “Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you’re there.”
– Ray Bradbury
7. “The greatest legacy we can leave our children is happy memories.”
– Og Mandino
8. “It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away.”
– Ray Bradbury
9. “I think the whole world is dying to hear someone say, ‘I love you.’ I think that if I can leave the legacy of love and passion in the world, then I think I’ve done my job in a world that’s getting colder and colder by the day.”
– Lionel Richie
10. “Don’t be so shortsighted that if it doesn’t happen right now, you’re not going to be happy. You are sowing seeds that will reap a great harvest for generations to come.”
– Joel Osteen
11. “Please think about your legacy because you are writing it every day.”
– Gary Vaynerchuk
12. “I always thought about leaving a legacy of fulfillment, living out your dreams, and giving back.”
– Serena Williams
13. “A friend of mine said something powerful at his grandfather’s funeral. He said that the greatest lesson from his grandfather’s life was that he died empty, because he accomplished everything he wanted, with no regrets. I think that, along with leaving a legacy, would be the greatest sign of success.”
– Marvin Sapp
14. “It seems to me that at 19 or 20, a young man is burning to be great at something. I was. You have a vision that’s beyond the neighborhood. You want to make a mark while you’re alive. You don’t know exactly your future, but you want to be great at it. And greatness is an important word. And you dare not tell anybody how extreme and how burning are your visions, because you don’t want anybody to mess with them.”
– Art Garfunkel
15. “If you’re going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the world that can’t be erased.”
– Maya Angelou
In the simplest terms, a legacy is something that is passed down from one generation to the next. It is believed that leaving a legacy helps communities become stronger.
A legacy is significant because it is regarded as a necessary component of life’s ongoing foundation. People left behind by a person receive only what is left to them. It does not have to be a significant contribution to society; it can be a business, an idea shared by a community, a preserved home, or a family –– such as grandchildren.
Every person, it is believed, has a responsibility to leave behind a legacy before they die. This is a selfless act. People are more concerned with the fate and outcome of the future than with themselves in the present. Moreover, leaving a legacy and leaving a mark contributes to the shaping of the larger picture, which has an effect on societies.
A legacy helps maintain connections between people and leaves something tangible to be remembered by. With these inspiring quotes about leaving a legacy, you’ll get to appreciate and understand legacies more and why they are important in a person’s life.
About The Author
As a professional writer at many renowned websites Krizzia Paolyn has covered a wide range of topics in many industries. Her knack for uncovering important truths and conducting thorough research on each topic she writes about has helped thousands of people across the world.